Friday, September 30, 2011

Reflect & Revise

I have a serious issue with writing papers. Even if the topic of a paper is something that I'm really interested in, it's the hardest thing for me to do. Don't get me wrong, I can whip out a paper in no time. Will it be my best work? Absolutely not...but it's done, right? Wrong. Writing is one of my least favorite things to do, and it's purely because I don't give myself enough time and I end up completely stressed about it.
When I put my mind to it and actually take the time to write a paper, and I leave myself enough time to look over and edit everything, it generally won't turn out too bad. As it turns out, though, I have some serious time management problems. I never leave myself enough time to edit and revise my papers. I know that this is a bad habit, and I tell myself over and over again that I'll be better about it, but it  doesn't ever turn out that way.

Revising is definitely a good thing to do. It will make it easier for readers to be interested in your writing, it can help with the flow of your paper, and revising can really help fix those huge errors you may have not noticed while writing. On class assignments, of course, it can also help you receive a better grade. :)

With my Poetry Analysis essay, I still have quite a few revisions to make. First of all, I have to make it longer. In my lack of time management, I ran out of time to really finish it. My conclusion isn't complete. I also have to expand on most of my paragraphs and fix the structure of my paper.

http://aqurette.com/images/typepad/2008/02/11/calvin_on_writing.jpg

3 comments:

  1. Great job being honest about your time management. I have the same problem as you. I find that when I'm stressed for time to meet a deadline I end up with a poorly revised paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Anna :)
    I think you did a great job being honest about how you feel about your personal paper revisions. I feel like sometimes I get stressed out about them too and just feeling a little unease about the paper your about to write defiantly intimidates you. I hope you find time to focus on your writing and get your opinions across. A few more minutes on a paper can make all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that you can be honest and know that you are not doing your best work when you rush. I know I do the same but I still end up disappointed with myself for not doing better. I know it is my own fault for not taking my time and effort to earn the grade. Your picture describes my feelings when I sit and try to get started on an essay. :)

    ReplyDelete